Monday, October 30, 2006

 

Overheard ...

So I was walking up the subway steps out of the station the other day behind a group of three teenage boys, probably about 15 or 16 years old. The only part of their conversation I was fortunate enough to overhear was:

"You bitch slapped him!"- says the first

"No..."- says the second

"Yeah, you bitch slapped him." -says the first, laughing

"No, you pimp slapped him! - says the third, laughing

"I've got an ego but not that much." - concludes the second

I seriously considered stopping these boys and asking them why they thought violence against women was so funny. So casual. I know they probably weren't thinking of their joke in those terms and I can't blame them. "Bitch" "Pimp" "Bitchslap"- The language they used is thrown around constantly and the meaning has been lost-or morphed into something less scary. Something quite removed from the very real and painful image of a man slapping a woman in the face.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?